Busy Mom’s Survival Guide Podcast Episode 046.
My food budget is never as big as I want it to be. I would love to buy only organic items or the most expensive and healthiest cuts of meat. But like most moms I have to make some tough choices as to what food to buy for my family.
I’ve had a lot of practice over the years making a food budget stretch. During this episode I share what I feel are the best ways to save money when food shopping on a budget. This allows me to buy the greatest quantities of the healthiest food that I can.
Topics Covered in this Episode
- How a garden saves you money
- How a pantry saves you money
- The importance of a price book
- Basing decisions on unit pricing, not sales
- Shopping frequencey
- Bulk items and whether or not to buy them
Courtney: Do you account for growth spurts? It always seems like no matter how much I buy on the lean side or major shopping stock up its gone! Other moms of 6+ children report the same thing
Janae & Bethany: Do you use coupons? I find them more of a hassle than anything, and they hardly ever apply to what I need to purchase – but some people say they save so much money, I wonder if I should rethink.
Leah: I only have one child and he gets breakfast AND lunch at preschool/daycare. Is the meal planning for one meal and budgeting on groceries worth it money wise?
Becky: Thoughts on the tight budget family – shop clearance/sale bins or plan ahead with flyers?
Jennifer: How far ahead do you plan/shop? One week, two, or more?
Episodes in the Series
- Feeding Your Family Part 1 – Your Pantry and Shopping List
- Feeding Your Family Part 2 – Meal Planning
- Feeding Your Family Part 3 – Food Shopping on a Budget
- Feeding Your Family Part 4 – Teaching Children to Cook 1
- Feeding Your Family Part 5 – Teaching Children to Cook 2
- Feeding Your Family Part 6 – Teaching Children to Cook 3
- Feeding Your Family Part 7 – Picky Eaters 1
- Feeding Your Family Part 8 – Picky Eaters 2
What are the best ways you have found to save money when food shopping?
Thanks for listening! Please join me next week as I discuss teaching your children to cook.
You can subscribe to the Busy Mom’s Survival Guide Podcast: