Busy Mom’s Survival Guide Podcast Episode 048.
It is important to me that my children learn how to cook. But that is not enough. I also desire for them to love (or at least to enjoy) cooking.
So during this episode, I am joined by my son, Emery, who is now 13. Emery has been cooking for years and he shares some of his thoughts and feelings on children (both himself and others) learning to cook. Emery also helps me answer listener questions and I think you’ll love hearing what he has to say.
Lauren: How did you start getting your kids involved in the kitchen? Mine love to help with cakes and things but how did you know what tasks to give them at what ages?
Karen: At what ages did you let them do a particular task (knowing that it of course varies per child) like use a knife, cook at the stove or remove something from the oven etc. On the flip side, what are the best ”jobs” for the little ones to start out with?
Monica, Maria, Amanda: I’d love to hear how you have them do it at various ages: under 6, 7-10, etc.
Dwell: Interested in hearing about young children in the kitchen….my oldest is 7.
Episodes in the Series
- Feeding Your Family Part 1 – Your Pantry and Shopping List
- Feeding Your Family Part 2 – Meal Planning
- Feeding Your Family Part 3 – Food Shopping on a Budget
- Feeding Your Family Part 4 – Teaching Children to Cook 1
- Feeding Your Family Part 5 – Teaching Children to Cook 2
- Feeding Your Family Part 6 – Teaching Children to Cook 3
- Feeding Your Family Part 7 – Picky Eaters 1
- Feeding Your Family Part 8 – Picky Eaters 2
- How to Write a Kid-Friendly Recipe
- Sample Kid-Friendly Recipe – Split Pea Soup
- Zojirushi Rice Cooker (this is marked down $100 right now)
Do your children help to cook? If so, what do they do at their current age?
Thanks for listening! Please join me next week as Emery and I finish the series on teaching your children to cook.
You can subscribe to the Busy Mom’s Survival Guide Podcast: