Busy Mom’s Survival Guide Podcast Episode 056.
On last week’s episode, I discussed the concept of multiple intelligences with Dr. Kathy Koch, author of the book “How Am I Smart? A Parent’s Guide to Multiple Intelligences*” and the website www.CelebrateKids.com.
If you missed that episode, the concept is that there are 8 basic ways that people learn. Every person has all 8 smarts, but we tend to be dominant in some of them. Understanding how your children are smart can really help you to better understand their behavior and better parent them as individuals.
During this second half of the interview, we finish summarizing the eight intelligences. We mention specific ways that understanding our child’s smarts (and our own smarts) can improve our relationships with our children and particularly our teens. And if you’re a public school parent, I ask Dr. Kathy about the best way to talk with your child’s teacher about how your child’s smarts are affecting his schooling.
The Eight Intelligences
- Word Smart (Linguistic intelligence)
- Logic Smart (Logical-Mathematical intelligence)
- Picture Smart (Spatial intelligence)
- Music Smart (Musical intelligence)
- Body Smart (Bodily-Kinisthetic intelligence)
- Nature Smart (Naturalist intelligence)
- People Smart (Interpersonal intelligence)
- Self Smart (Intrapersonal intelligence)
- How Am I Smart? A Parent’s Guide to Multiple Intelligences* by Dr. Kathy Koch
- Identifying Multiple Intelligences Checklist by www.CelebrateKids.com
Episodes in Series
Thanks for listening! Please join me next week as I talk about parenting your children as individuals.
You can subscribe to the Busy Mom’s Survival Guide Podcast:
*Amazon Affiliate Link